With the Olympics only ten days away, I thought it might be fun to share some facts about Tokyo You may not have known.
- Tokyo’s name literally means East Capital. It’s original name was Edo and was changed during the Meiji Restoration.
2. Despite being one of the largest cities in the world with a population of roughly 38 million, it is among the safest.
3.The Tokyo Skytree in the Sumida area of the city is one of the world’s tallest buildings.
4. The Emperor’s Imperial Palace is one of the top tourist destinations, but as in the case of Buckingham Palace, it is not open to the public.
5. If you want to view organized chaos, the Shibuya area of the city sees over 2,000 cross the street at once every time the signal changes.
6. During the busy commute hour, there are workers on Japan’s train system who’s job it is to push commuters inside the train.
7.Tokyo has its own Disneyland Resort. There are two parks: Tokyo Disney Sea and Tokyo Disneyland.
8. You will find cafes everywhere. Many of them are uniquely themed: cat cafes, Alice in Wonderland Cafes, Mario Cafes, etc. The list continues.
9. Look for vending machines spread out every twelve meters. They sell just about everything, not just beverages.
10. Harajuku hosts alternative fashion and is known around the world.
11. Tokyo Tower was modeled after France’s Eiffel Tower.
12. Tokyo hosts more neon colored signs than any other city in the world.